Order a birth, death or marriage certificate
Local civil registration service offices can process requests to purchase certificates by phone or e-mail or post usually less than 5 days.
Fees for certificates
€20 for a full standard certificate.
Fees for ordering certificates online or from your local civil registration service by email or online are:
- €20 for a full standard certificate
- €5 for an uncertified copy - can only be used for research purposes
- €10 to have a certificate authenticated - available from the General Register Office
- €20 for a certified copy of an entry in the Adopted Children Register
Payment for online orders may be made by card, postal order or cheque. Postage for online orders is €1.50 per order in Ireland and €2 per order outside of Ireland.
There is no charge for a copy for social welfare purposes and registering for a Public Services Card. You need a letter from the Department of Social Protection to do this.
You can only order a full standard certificate online.
If we are unable to find the record, we will send you a full refund.
We aim to process online orders within 30 working days.
Order by email
You can order by email from all civil registration offices except Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow.
Include your phone number if ordering by email. We will call you back to take payment over the phone.
We aim to process orders within 5 working days.
Order by phone
You can order and pay by phone in all civil registration offices except Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow.
We aim to process orders by email or post within 5 working days.
Years certificates are available
Certificates are available for:
- births registered in the Republic of Ireland from 1864 to present
- births registered in Northern Ireland from 1864 to 1921
- deaths registered in the Republic of Ireland from 1864 to present
- deaths registered in Northern Ireland from 1864 to 1921
- marriages registered in the island of Ireland from 1864 to 1921 and in the Republic of Ireland from 1922
- civil partnerships registered in the Republic of Ireland from 2011
- stillbirths held by the General Register Office
- domestic adoptions held by the General Register Office
Contact us about online orders
For births, deaths and marriages certificates
HSE Civil Registration Service
8 to 11 Lombard Street East
If you send an email, please include your order ID number.