Order a birth, death or marriage certificate
Fees for certificates
€20 for a full standard certificate.
Over the counter orders
Fees for ordering certificates at a civil registration service or by post are:
- €20 for a full standard certificate
- €4 for an uncertified copy - can only be used for research purposes
- €10 to have a certificate authenticated - available from the General Register Office
- €1 for a copy for social welfare purposes and registering for a Public Services Card. You need a letter from the Department of Social Protection to do this.
- €20 for a certified copy of an entry in the Adopted Children Register
Delivery time depends on how long it takes us to search for the certificate and where it is being posted to. We aim to post certificates within 20 working days.
Postage for online orders is €1.50 per order in Ireland and €2 per order outside of Ireland.
If we are unable to find the record, we will send you a full refund.
You can only order full standard certificates online.
Order by post
To order a certificate by post in English download the application form.
To order a certificate by post in Irish download the application form.
Years certificates are available
Certificates are available for:
- births registered in the Republic of Ireland from 1864 to present
- births registered in Northern Ireland from 1864 to 1921
- deaths registered in the Republic of Ireland from 1864 to present
- deaths registered in Northern Ireland from 1864 to 1921
- marriages registered in the island of Ireland from 1864 to 1921 and in the Republic of Ireland from 1922
- civil partnerships registered in the Republic of Ireland from 2011
- stillbirths held by the General Register Office
- domestic adoptions held by the General Register Office
Contact us about online orders
For births, deaths and marriages certificates
HSE Civil Registration Service
8 to 11 Lombard Street East
If you send an email, please include your order ID number.
For adoption or stillbirth certificates
General Register Office
Phone: 090 663 2900