Order a birth, death or marriage certificate
It is not possible to order certificates online at this time.
Phone orders or walk-in
You can order and pay by phone in most civil registration services.
Phone orders are usually processed in 5 working days.
Some civil registration services have a walk-in service.
Fees for certificates
€20 for a full standard certificate.
Fees for ordering certificates online or from your local civil registration service by email or online are:
- €20 for a full standard certificate
- €5 for an uncertified copy - can only be used for research purposes
- €10 to have a certificate authenticated - available from the General Register Office
- €20 for a certified copy of an entry in the Adopted Children Register
Postage for online and phone orders is €1.50 per order in Ireland and €2 per order outside of Ireland.
There is no charge for a copy for social welfare purposes and registering for a Public Services Card. You need a letter from the Department of Social Protection to do this.
Years certificates are available
Certificates are available for:
- births registered in the Republic of Ireland from 1864 to present
- births registered in Northern Ireland from 1864 to 1921
- deaths registered in the Republic of Ireland from 1864 to present
- deaths registered in Northern Ireland from 1864 to 1921
- marriages registered in the island of Ireland from 1864 to 1921 and in the Republic of Ireland from 1922
- civil partnerships registered in the Republic of Ireland from 2011
- stillbirths held by the General Register Office
- domestic adoptions held by the General Register Office
Contact us about an online order
Births, deaths and marriages certificates
HSE Civil Registration Service,
8 to 11 Lombard Street East,
If you send an email, please include your order ID number.