Your service your say - Complaints and feedback

Your service your say

We want to provide safe and high-quality services so that you receive the best care and treatment. Your feedback matters. It helps us to improve our services.

We want to hear from you about your experience of using our services:

  • what worked
  • what could improve
  • what didn't work

Make a comment, compliment or complaint

There are many ways you can tell us about your experience:

  • Tell the people caring for you today.
  • Fill in the online feedback form.
  • Email us at
  • Fill out the paper feedback form and put it in the feedback box or give it to a member of staff.
  • Send a letter to the service - a staff member can give you the contact details.
  • Call us on 1890 424 555 from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Call 045 880 429 from a mobile.
  • Call HSELive on 1800 700 700 from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 5pm on Saturday. You can call +353 1 240 8787 from outside of Ireland.

The paper feedback form is available in 9 languages at the end of this page.

If you're not able to give feedback yourself, ask a relative, carer or advocate to do this for you.

You can also report a concern about a vulnerable adult in the care of the HSE to the confidential recipient.

Comments and compliments

A comment could be a suggestion for service improvement. It can also be an observation made by a service user that can lead to learning by the organisation.

If you have a comment or compliment, we will share your feedback with the service or staff member.

What to include in a complaint

A complaint should include:

  • Who was involved.
  • What happened and when.
  • What your concerns are.
  • Have you done anything to resolve this matter.
  • What you want to happen now.

Please provide any extra information and copies of other relevant documents.

What happens after you make a complaint

You may have had a poor experience and told a member of staff or the person providing your care. If so, they will try to help you straight away, if possible, or within 48 hours.

If you made a written complaint, we will let you know that we have received your complaint within 5 working day.

Then we will:

  • look into your complaint and respond to you within 30 working days
  • contact you to ask for more time, if needed
  • keep you updated every 20 working days after that

We might call or ask to meet you to hear more about it.

If you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint, you can ask for an internal review by the HSE. You can also ask for an external review from the Ombudsman or the Ombudsman for Children.

Feedback forms

Your service your say feedback form: English

Your service your say feedback form: Under 18

Your service your say feedback form: Irish

Your service your say feedback form: French

Your service your say feedback form: German

Your service your say feedback form: Chinese

Your service your say feedback form: Portuguese

Your service your say feedback form: Portuguese (European version)

Your service your say feedback form: Russian

Your service your say feedback form Arabic

Your service your say feedback form: Romanian