You can order a short-form or long form death certificate online.
Phone or walk-in orders
You can order a certificate over the phone from most civil registration services. Some have a walk-in service. You do not have to order it from a service in the area the death took place.
Phone orders take around 5 working days to process.
Information you need to provide
To order a death certificate, you need to provide:
- full name of the person who died
- date of death
- name of street, hospital, home, town where the person died
- former address of deceased
- the person's age at the time of their death
A death certificate costs €20.
- €2 for each order in Ireland
- €3 for each order outside of Ireland
Years certificates are available for
Certificates are available for deaths registered in the:
- the Republic of Ireland from 1 January 1864 to present
- Northern Ireland from 1 January 1864 to 31 December 1921