Skip to main content

Using the HSE audiology service

Contact your local audiology service for information about repairs.

The HSE community audiology service offers free help with hearing loss for all children and eligible adults in Ireland. To use the service, you'll need a medical professional (such as your GP) to refer you.

The audiology service can:

  • diagnose problems with hearing
  • treat hearing loss, for example by providing hearing aids
  • service and repair hearing aids
  • give advice about using assistive devices, such as induction loops
  • provide emotional support if you or your child is experiencing hearing loss

If a medical professional refers you to the service, you'll be told which audiology centre you need to visit. There are audiology centres across Ireland.

Related topic

Find an audiology centre

Help for children

The audiology service is free for all babies and children up to age 18 in Ireland. It is also free for students until they leave college (third level education).

Your child can be referred to the service by their:

  • GP
  • public health nurse
  • ear, nose and throat (ENT) consultant 
  • paediatrician
  • speech and language therapist

Newborn babies can be referred through the newborn screening programme.

Help for adults

The audiology service is free for eligible adults in Ireland.

You can be referred to the service by:

  • your GP
  • your ENT consultant at hospital


Sometimes, audiology services may be outsourced.

To make sure the services are high quality and safe we monitor and audit patient data. We do this in line with your patient data protection rights.

Related topics

Tests for hearing loss in babies and children

Tests for hearing loss in adults

page last reviewed: 29/07/2019
next review due: 29/07/2022