Extra support for parents

Some parents may need extra support in their parenting at different times.

Some common reasons for seeking extra support include:

Talk to your GP - they can help you find the best support for you and your family.

The HSE's 'Ask a breastfeeding expert' can help answer questions you may have.

Your public health nurse (PHN) can also offer you support. Public health nurses can give you reliable information and advice in a range of areas concerning child and family health. They can also refer you to other sources of support in your local area, like the Child and Family Agency.

Extra support for parents - HSE mychild.ie

The Child and Family Agency

The Child and Family Agency (also known as Tusla) can put you in touch with a social worker if your family needs additional support.

Social workers and family support workers work closely with parents and children to find out what your family’s needs are, and to develop a plan to meet those needs.

The agency can also offer you support through:

  • parenting courses and family support services
  • Meitheal – a community-based support service for families
  • child and family support networks
  • marriage counselling
  • child counselling
  • bereavement counselling
  • family mediation - this is a free and confidential service that helps parents who have decided to separate or divorce.

For more information visit the Tusla website or call 01 635 2854.

Tusla also have more tips on parenting.

More support information

Women's Aid can help with women’s refuge centres. Phone 1800 341 900

Barnardo's help children and families who need extra support at times. Phone 1850 222 300

Your local Citizens Information centre can give you information on benefits and entitlements. Phone 0761 07 4000

The Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) can help with financial problems and debt. Phone 0761 07 2000

Page last reviewed: 20 November 2018
Next review due: 20 November 2021