You can feel alone when you are dealing with bullying. It can feel like there's nothing you can do about it. You might tell yourself that trying to stop it might make things worse.
Bullying can affect how you feel. It can also affect your work, home or school life.
Here are some things you can do if you experience bullying.
Talk to someone
Telling someone is important. If you are being bullied or threatened, or feel you are in danger, tell someone immediately.
Talking to someone can help you get help or feel better by sharing your experience.
Find out who to talk to at work, school or your club. Many organisations have a bullying policy. Find and read this policy which will advise you on what steps to take and who to talk to.
Talking to a friend or family member can help you feel supported. They might not know what to do, but talking to them can help you feel less alone.
If you feel like you are not being taken seriously talk to someone else.
Working it out yourself
Depending on how bad the bullying is you might decide to try to work it out yourself. If you are in danger, or feel physically threatened, try to get someone else to help you.
Walking away and trying to ignore the problem can be what the bully wants. Be confident and let them know you do not think it's OK.
Suggestions for building your confidence to deal with bullying:
- Tell the person to stop – do not be aggressive, just be calm and sure of yourself.
- Be assertive – look them in the eye and be confident with your body language.
- Be nice – killing them with kindness can throw them off track.
- Use humour – it can throw them off.
- Be kind to yourself – tell yourself you're a better person than all that.
- Have a statement you can repeat, such as saying 'well if that's what you think'.
- Remember there are people who accept you for you who are.
Find out more about bullying and harassment
Sometimes the only solution may be moving school or changing your job. These changes can have big implications for you and your family. Sometimes a fresh start can be the simplest solution.