How to safely store household poisons away from your child
Ways to prevent your child accessing cleaning products:
- store household cleaning products in secure overhead cupboards, away from children
- use cupboard safety locks
- keep products in their original containers with the labels on
- always replace lids on products after you've used them
- never use soft drink bottles as storage for cleaning products or chemicals
- buy products with child-resistant caps where possible
- do not leave household products open or unattended while in use
- do not mix cleaning products or use 2 different products at the same time as some mixtures can produce a toxic gas
Childproof safety locks
You should also use childproof safety locks on cupboards.
Buy products with child-resistant caps where possible. Always store products securely out of reach and sight of children.
Remember that 'child-resistant' does not mean 'child-proof'.
Child-resistant lids will only slow children down when they try to open a container. It is best to keep them out of reach of children.
Be careful about what you leave in your car or in your handbag where children can see and reach them.
- hand gel
- car products
- other chemicals
Keep all handbags, including visitors' bags, out of your child's sight and reach.