Skip to main content

We use cookies on this website. By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device.

Documents you need to include with your medical card application

You need to provide income and expenses documents with an online or postal application for a medical card or GP visit card. Apply online today.

Income, savings and assets


A recent payslip dated within the last 3 months stating year-to-date figures and deductions or a copy of your P45 if you have ceased employment.

State Pension

If in receipt of a state pension, please state the frequency and amount on you application.  

You will need to supply a recent copy of one of the following:

  • letter from the Department of Social Protection stating pension amount
  • An Post receipt stating pension amount
  • bank statement showing pension payments

Occupational Pension

For a private or occupational pension, provide a recent pension payslip.

If you are in receipt of more than one pension, provide details of all pension payments.

If your pension is no longer being paid, provide a letter from your provider confirming this.

If your pension was paid as a lump sum, provide a letter from your provider with the details.

For a joint application, if your spouse or partner is also in receipt of a pension, provide payment details.

Social Welfare Payment

Please state the frequency and amount on you application.  

Illness Benefit or Maternity Benefit

Provide a letter from your employer to confirm if they will continue to pay you while on this benefit.

Self Employment

Sole-traders or business owners must provide the most recent Income Tax Return Form 11 and all pages of your Notice of Assessment (NOA).

Business that have ceased trading must provide a letter from Revenue confirming tax registration cancellation.

If your business is open less than one year please provide a set of accounts signed off by your accountant.

If Revenue has stated you have no net tax liability, please provide a set of accounts signed off by your accountant or if your income from self-employment is listed on your balancing statement, please submit your P21 form.

Income from Savings and Investments

Please provide one of the following:

  • a statement, or statements, dated within the last 12 months from each institution stating the current balance on your accounts
  • certificates of interests for all accounts you have

If you have stocks or shares, provide a current share certificate statement detailing these items.

You can request the actual rate of interest to be applied to all your savings and investments. For this, provide individual certificates of interest for all savings accounts.

Maintenance Payments.

Provide one of the following:

  • a photocopy of the maintenance agreement or court order
  • bank statement with account holders name and references to payments

Additional property

If you, or a spouse or partner, own a property or land other than your primary residence, provide details.

If the property or land is not rented, provide a valuation.

If the property or land is being rented, provide a copy of the tenancy agreement.

If you are paying a mortgage on this property or land, provide a photocopy of your recent mortgage account statement.  


Rent Payments

Provide a photocopy of your current tenancy agreement or rent book.

If you don’t have these, provide copies of bank statements. These need to show that you are the account holder and proof of current rent payments.

If renting from a local authority, and paying differential rent, provide a letter from your local authority. This should state the portion of rent paid by you.

Mortgage Payments

Provide documents showing mortgage payments.

Submit one of the following:

  • copy of your mortgage statement
  • letter from your mortgage provider showing 3 payments, 1 within the last 3 months
  • copy of bank statement, showing you as account holder and referencing mortgage payments

Mortgage protection Insurance or mortgage life assurance premium

Provide a photocopy of a letter from service provider confirming payment for this insurance type, and confirmation that this insurance is connected to your mortgage.

Childcare costs

Please provide:

  • a letter from childcare provider confirming the amount you pay each week
  • name, address and telephone number of your childcare provider

Travel to work costs

If you travel to work, provide the address of your employment and the distance you travel to work.

If you drive to work, provide the distance you travel and a photocopy of your Vehicle Registration Certificate.

If you use public transport, provide copies of your bus or train tickets.

Maintenance payments

If you pay maintenance to another person, provide one of the following:

• current maintenance agreement
• recent bank statement showing that you are the account holder and including instances of maintenance payments

Nursing home costs

Provide a photocopy of an invoice from the nursing home.

Page last reviewed: 21/10/2018
Next review due: 21/10/2021