This page is available in other languages:
If you arrive in Ireland from Ukraine, you can get support from the Irish State. This includes a place to stay, financial support (social welfare), the right to work, and healthcare services.
The HSE (Health Service Executive) is Ireland’s public healthcare service.
Services available to you
You will be able to get the same healthcare services as people who live in Ireland.
You will also be able to apply to the HSE for a medical card. You need this card to get some healthcare services free of charge in Ireland.
You will be able to get care from the following:
- family doctors - also called GPs (general practitioners)
- community care services - for example, physiotherapy, speech therapy
- hospital or emergency services
- children’s health services
- mental health services
- disability services
- pregnancy services
- older people services
The HSE is making arrangements for these services to be provided. We will update this page soon with information on how to apply for services. This will be available in English, Ukrainian and Russian.
If you do not speak English
If you do not speak English, tell the medical staff and ask if they can arrange an interpreter for you. In some cases, the hospital or health clinic can provide an interpreter.
If you have a medical card, you do not have to pay to see your doctor or pay for medicines your doctor prescribes. You will automatically qualify for a medical card.
You need the following information to apply for a medical card:
- your name, address and date of birth
- Personal Public Service (PPS) number
- GP acceptance and signature - if you do not have a preferred GP, 1 will be assigned to you and your family
A Personal Public Service (PPS) number is a unique reference number that helps you access social welfare benefits, public services and information in Ireland.
A PPS number is always 7 numbers followed by 1 or 2 letters.
You will get information about how to get a PPS number at Dublin airport.
If you are already in Ireland, go to your local Intreo Centre or Branch Office. Staff will help you to get a PPS number.
Applying for a medical card
To apply for a medical card:
- Complete the application form - make sure all your information is correct.
- Post the completed form to the National Medical Card Unit, PO Box 11745, Dublin 11, D11 XKF3 or email the completed form to PCRS.Applications@HSE.ie.
If you move address, let us know. You may lose eligibility if you do not keep your contact details up to date.
GP services are usually open from 9am to 6pm on Monday to Friday. If you need urgent medical care outside of these hours, contact an out of hours service.
The Department of Justice provides more information for Ukrainians who are travelling to Ireland.