Ways to prevent your child accessing cleaning products:
- Store household cleaning products in secure overhead cupboards.
- Use cupboard safety locks.
- Keep products in their original containers with the labels on.
- Always replace lids on products after you've used them.
- Never use soft drink bottles as storage for cleaning products or chemicals.
- Buy products with child-resistant caps where possible.
- Do not leave household products open or unattended while in use.
- Do not mix cleaning products or use 2 different products at the same time as some mixtures can produce a toxic gas.
Child safety locks
You should also use childproof safety locks on cupboards.
Buy products with child-resistant caps where possible. Always store products securely out of reach and sight of children.
Remember that 'child-resistant' does not mean 'child-proof'.
Child-resistant lids will only slow children down when they try to open a container. It is best to keep them out of reach of children.
Be careful about what you leave in your car or in your handbag where children can see and reach them.
- hand gel
- car products
- other chemicals
Keep all handbags, including visitors' bags, out of your child's sight and reach.