Skip to main content

We use small files called cookies to help us improve your experience on this website and to provide services like web chat. We also use cookies to measure the effectiveness of public health campaigns and understand how people use the website.

Read our cookies policy to find out more about cookies and how we use them.

Mental health supports and services information

Generally, mental health supports and services provided by the HSE are divided into 4 levels.

Generally, mental health supports and services provided by the HSE are divided into 4 levels.

Level 1 supports and services

Supports and resources that are freely available to all of the population.

These include mental health information and mental health promotion materials. These can be sourced from

They also include helplines and advocacy services funded and supported by the HSE. For example, Childline and Samaritans.

Level 2 supports and services

These supports and services are used by some of the population. Use these supports and services if you feel you need more information or advice than what is available in level 1.

Talking to your GP is the best way to get more advice about mental health and mental health services. They may also refer you to other primary care services, for example, an addiction or counselling service.

Level 3 supports and services

To access these supports and services you need a referral from your GP.

These services are specialist in nature and include:

  • child and adolescent mental health services
  • general adult mental health services
  • psychiatry of later life services

Level 4 supports and services

These services are also only accessible through a referral.

They include:

  • inpatient mental health services
  • residential addiction services
  • forensic mental health services

Supports and services listed in this directory from level 1 and 2 only. They include supports and services available online and in the community.

For information about level 3 and 4 services contact HSE Live.

If you feel you need to access a level 3 and level 4 service, talk to your GP first.