Last updated: 3 May 2020 at 4.05pm
There are 46 test centres nationwide. Most centres are in a building or clinic. Some offer a drive-thru service. The test takes about 15 minutes.
Do not go to a test centre unless you have an appointment - you will not be seen.
- Park and remain in your car.
- A healthcare worker will approach you.
- They will give you a mask to put on and explain what will happen, ask you some questions and take you into the test centre.
- You will wash your hands properly.
- Healthcare staff will take some personal details from you including your phone number. This is so you can be contacted with your results.
- You will blow your nose into a tissue and bin it in a secure bin.
- A healthcare worker will take a sample from inside your back of your throat and nose using a swab. This may be uncomfortable but it won't be painful.
- We will send your sample to a lab for testing.
- You will drive home and keep self-isolating.
Drive-thru test centre
Some test centres offer a drive-thru service.
You can drive yourself if you feel well enough. If not, someone in your household can drive you. If you have a child who has an appointment to be tested, you can drive them.
Do not go to a drive-thru test centre unless you are in a car and have an appointment - you will not be seen otherwise.
- Drive to the centre.
- Stay in your car at all times.
- Follow the signs and the directions of staff.
- A healthcare worker will ask you to open your window.
- They will give you a mask to put on.
- They'll direct you to a test bay to take your test sample - do not get out of car.
- One healthcare worker will take your personal details - this is so we can contact you with your results.
- Another will take two swabs from inside the back of your throat and nose - this may be uncomfortable but it won't be painful.
- You will drive home and keep self-isolation.
Testing in your home
If you cannot attend a test centre, you may be tested at home.
- A healthcare worker will call to your home with a testing kit.
- They will use a swab to take a sample from inside back of your throat and nose.
- You will be asked to give them some personal details - this is so we can contact you with your results.