There are 2 types of free COVID-19 tests available online from the HSE:
- antigen tests (home test kits)
- PCR tests (done at a test centre and sent to a lab)
You do not need a test if you are:
- under 55 years of age with symptoms of COVID-19 and you are otherwise healthy
- age 55 or older and you are fully boosted, even if you have symptoms of COVID-19
If you know which type of COVID-19 test you should get, here is the link to get a test:
When to get a PCR test
You can get a PCR test if you have symptoms and you:
- are age 55 or older and have not had a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose
- have a high-risk medical condition
- have a weak immune system (immunocompromised)
- live in the same household as a person who has a weak immune system or provide support or care for them
- are pregnant
- are a healthcare worker
If you have a positive antigen test, you can book a PCR test if you need a COVID-19 Recovery Cert.
When to get antigen tests
If you are a healthcare worker and you are a household close contact, you can get antigen tests if you:
- do not have symptoms of COVID-19
- have not had COVID-19 in the past 3 months
Antigen tests are not recommended for children under the age of 4.
What you need to get a test online
To book a PCR test or order an antigen test online, we ask you for:
- a mobile phone number
- an address or Eircode
We also ask for a PPS number. If you do not have one, you can still get a test.
Why we ask for a PPS number
We need your PPS number to find your individual health identifier (IHI). An IHI is a unique number used to identify you when you use a health or social care service.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19
If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, even mild ones, you should:
- self-isolate (stay in your room) until 48 hours after your symptoms are mostly or fully gone
- wear a face mask if you have to be around other people
Do these even if you completed your first round of COVID-19 vaccination, had a booster, or had COVID-19 in the past.
You cannot use a HSE COVID-19 test result for international travel from Ireland. A private testing company can give you the letter you need to travel.
Last updated: 28 June 2022 at 4pm