Skip to main content

Warning notification:Warning

Unfortunately, you are using an outdated browser. Please, upgrade your browser to improve your experience with HSE. The list of supported browsers:

  1. Chrome
  2. Edge
  3. FireFox
  4. Opera
  5. Safari

Where to go for an abortion

Abortions can be carried out by surgeries and clinics that provide abortion services.

These may include:

You will have appointments on 2 different days.

Your pre-abortion consultation can either be in person, by phone or by video link.

The doctor will tell you if they need to see you in person. But it will depend on how many weeks you are pregnant and the type of abortion you are having.

Who to contact for an abortion

To have an abortion you can contact:

  • the My Options support service on freephone 1800 828 010
  • a GP surgery that provides abortion services
  • a family planning clinic that provides abortion services
  • a women's health clinic that provides abortion services

You must have an abortion in a hospital if you:

  • are more than 9 weeks pregnant
  • have any medical conditions or health-related illness - such as severe anaemia, pre-existing heart disease or severe cardiovascular disease
  • have become pregnant despite using an intrauterine device (IUD) — an IUD is a contraceptive device, it used to be called a 'coil' or a 'loop'

If you need to go to a hospital to have an abortion, your GP will refer you.

Find a list of hospitals providing abortion services

Cost of an abortion

An abortion is available for free through the HSE if you:

  • live in the Republic of Ireland
  • have a PPS number

If you live outside the Republic of Ireland, you can have an abortion in the Republic of Ireland. But you will have to pay for it.

How long an abortion takes

The length of time for an abortion depends on:

You should go to the doctor or your GP as early as possible in your pregnancy. This is because you need to allow time for certifying the abortion and for the 3-day wait. This is the law.

A doctor can only carry out an abortion if you are under 12 weeks pregnant, except in certain circumstances.

Not all doctors provide abortion services

Your GP or doctor might not provide abortion services.

They do not have to provide an abortion service if they do not want to.

If your GP or doctor will not carry out an abortion, they should always refer you to someone who does provide the service.

You can choose to see another doctor.

Call My Options on Freephone 1800 828 010 (My Options) for free information on abortion services.


You have a right to confidentiality. All your details and treatment information will be kept confidential.

The decision you make about your abortion care will be between you and your doctor.

If you do not want to tell anyone about your abortion, you do not have to.

You might not want your GP to know that you had an abortion. If so, you can have it in a family planning clinic or a woman's health clinic. Your GP will not be told if you do not want them to know.

Information about an abortion will not go on your medical record.

Under 18 years old

If you're aged 16 to 17, your parents do not usually need to be told.

But your GP or doctor might have to report your details to Tusla - The Child and Family Agency if they believe there is a risk to your safety or welfare.

Abortion if you're under 18 years old

Your personal details

All your details and treatment information will be kept confidential. But your GP or doctor may need to share some details about your abortion with us and some other state agencies.

This is:

  • for legal reasons
  • to access HSE funding so you can have an abortion for free
  • to help us improve our abortion service

Anyone who is given information about your abortion has to keep it confidential.

Your doctor will let the Department of Health know that an abortion has been carried out. This is because of the law on abortion. The information will be anonymous. They will not have your name or any other personal details.

Your doctor will need to share a personal ID number with us. This could be your PPS number or medical card number. This is so we can pay your GP or doctor for any abortion services they give you.

We may use details about your abortion to help us improve our abortion service. But we will not use your name or other personal details.

Make a comment or complaint through the HSE's feedback service

Page last reviewed: 28 October 2022
Next review due: 28 October 2025