About online health appointments
Online health appointments let you talk to your healthcare professional online, without having to leave your home. These appointments usually happen using video.
Online appointments are available for many hospital and community services in the HSE, including:
- non-urgent care, for example physiotherapy, dietitian, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy
- getting results from your consultant
- mental health care
- chronic disease management
Ask your healthcare professional if they do online appointments.
Online appointments might not be suitable for certain conditions. For example, if your healthcare professional needs to do a physical exam.
Blended care means meeting your healthcare professional in person sometimes, and online other times.
Benefits of online health appointments
Online health appointments are:
- less time consuming - you do not need to travel to your appointment
- cheaper - you do not need to pay for transport or parking
- easier to organise - you do not need to get time off work or a childminder
- accessible if you are self-isolating due to COVID-19, chicken pox or flu symptoms
- more environmentally friendly due to fewer car journeys leading to reduced emissions