Skip to main content

We use cookies to help us improve your experience and to provide services like web chat. We also use cookies to measure the effectiveness of public health campaigns and understand how people use the website.

To find out more about cookies and how we use them, please see our privacy policy.

Change your medical card details

Keep the details of your medical card up to date. Let us know if your circumstances change or if you want to change GP. Find out more.

It is important to keep your details up to date. We can then keep in contact with you about your card. Let us know if your circumstances change, or if you want to change GP.

Change of address

Let us know about a change of address through one of the following:

You will need to supply a copy of a utility bill, or similar, as proof of address.

Change your GP

  1. Download the Change of GP form in English or Irish
  2. Complete the form and get your GP to sign it
  3. Post the form to:
    Client Registration Unit
    PO Box 11745
    Dublin 11
    D11 XKF3

Change in employment status

You may be able to keep your medical card if you start full-time work, after you have been unemployed for 12 months. You would need to have received a full rate social welfare payment for a continuous 12 month period.

If you start part-time work after you've been unemployed for 12 months or more, you may keep your medical card for 3 years.

If you begin a Government approved or sponsored incentive schemes (CE Schemes) you may continue to keep your medical card.

Dependent family members may qualify to keep their card, even if they become employed during this 3 year period.

If you receive the card for 3 years and continue working, eligibility will be assessed using the normal guidelines.

If there are any changes to your employment status, contact us.

Adding a child to a medical card

Phone 1890 252 919 (LoCall) or email with your child's:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • PPS number
You will also need to provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate.

Change in circumstances

A change in circumstance can affect your entitlement to a medical card or GP visit card.

These include:

  • Diagnosis of a serious medical condition.
  • Recently becoming married, separated, or divorced.
  • Recently becoming widowed.
  • Your child/children no longer live with you.
  • You have a child under 6.
  • You are now over 70.

If any of these or any other changes affect your entitlement to a medical or GP visit card, please let us know.

If you were previously refused a medical card, you might now be entitled to one.
Please apply again.

If you have any questions phone 1890 252 919 (LoCall).

Related Content

Page last reviewed: 21/10/2018
Next review due: 21/10/2021