Skip to main content

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set optional cookies (analytical, functional and YouTube) to enhance and improve our service. You can opt-out of these cookies. By clicking “Accept All Cookies” you can agree to the use of all cookies.

Cookies Statement and Privacy Statement

Registering a birth, death or marriage

Register a birth

During the coronavirus pandemic, you can apply to register a birth or purchase a certificate of birth by e-mail or by post. There is no need for you to attend the civil registration service offices in person.

Form for registering a birth during the coronavirus outbreak (PDF, 2 pages, 294kb).

Form for registering a birth during the coronavirus outbreak - Gaeilge (PDF, 2 pages, 1.1mb).

When your child is born, the hospital staff, doctor or midwife will send us a birth registration form.

You will still need to register the birth within 3 months of the date of birth. Do this at any civil registration office, no matter where in the Republic of Ireland your baby was born.

A qualified informant must register the birth. A qualified informant is generally a parent or both parents.

Before going to a civil registration office, call them to check if your details are in the system. This can take 2 to 6 weeks.

Why you need to register a birth

It is the law in Ireland that you must register a birth.

You will need a birth certificate for many official activities. For example, to enroll your child in school or to apply for a passport or child benefit allowance.

Fees for registering a birth

Registering a birth is free. Re-registering to include a parent's details is also free. There is a fee to buy a certificate.

It costs €5 to insert or change a first name.

Information you need to register a birth

Information about your baby:

  • first name
  • birth surname - must be the birth surname of the father or mother or both
  • time, date and place of birth
  • gender

Information about the parents:

  • A valid photographic ID (Passport, Drivers Licence, Refugee Asylum Card (issued by DJE), National ID Card (where it is issued from a country where it is an accepted form of travel document) or a valid Public Services Card
  • first names, birth surnames and any previous surnames
  • occupation
  • address at the time of birth
  • date of birth
  • marital or civil status
  • PPS numbers
  • birth surname of the mother's mother

Married parents registering a birth

If both parents are in a recognised marriage, one parent can register the birth. If you both want to sign the register you should both attend. If you register on your own, only one signature will appear on the birth certificate.

If the marriage was outside of Ireland, bring the original marriage certificate. If the document is not in English, you will need a certified translation.

Unmarried parents registering a birth

If you are not married, both parents can sign the register in a civil registration office.

If both parents can't go, contact a civil registration service to discuss the options.

If parents marry after the birth

Parents who marry after their child is born should re-register the birth. You can do this even if you recorded the father's details when you first registered the birth.

Contact a civil registration service for more information.

Related Content

page last reviewed: 21/10/2018
next review due: 21/10/2021