Smoking kills. 1 in 2 smokers will die from a tobacco-related disease. Every week, over 100 people die and over 1,000 people are hospitalised in Ireland from smoking-related illness.
As well as this, smoking:
- takes 10 to 15 quality years off your life
- causes cancer, heart attacks, stroke, lung disease, blindness, diabetes and many other diseases
- reduces fertility for both women and men and makes it harder to start a family
- can lead to ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage and stillbirth if you smoke during pregnancy
- has a negative effect on mental health
- is an expensive habit - smoking 20 cigarettes a day adds up to over €5,000 a year
83% of smokers regret starting smoking - they would not smoke if they had the choice again.
It does not have to be this way for you. You can quit and we can help.
Get free support from the Quit Programme. Sign up to a free, personalised Quit plan to help you stop smoking.