From 7 months of age, offer your baby finger foods.
Finger foods from 7 months on - HSE mychild.ie
Vegetables and fruit finger foods
- Peeled cucumber.
- Small, soft pieces of peeled fruit like ripe pear, banana, peach, nectarine, mango, melon, kiwi.
- Soft cooked sticks of vegetables like carrot, parsnip, green beans, turnip.
- Soft cooked baby sweet-corn, mange-tout or sugar-snap peas.
- Soft cooked florets of cauliflower and broccoli.
- Soft cooked slices of pumpkin or butternut squash.
Bread and pasta finger foods
- Fingers of toast.
- 3 to 4 well-cooked pasta shapes like bow ties or shells.
- Bread stick with hummus.
- A small piece of naan or pitta bread with hummus or smooth peanut butter.
- Plain rice cake or unsalted crackers.
- 1 small pancake.
- Soft roasted or sticks of potato or sweet potato.
Cheese finger foods
- Stick of firm cheese like cheddar.
Meat, poultry and egg finger foods
- Strips of freshly-cooked tender meat or chicken with skins removed.
- Slices of omelette.
Never leave your child alone during feeding as they could choke.