Play and toy ideas for children aged 1 to 2 years old include:
- Soft footballs - start by kicking a ball between you or off a wall.
- Empty toilet or kitchen rolls - use as a pirate's telescope, a play tunnel for toys or as a microphone.
- Simple puzzles - these are great for hand and eye coordination and problem-solving.
- Building blocks.
- Chunky non-toxic crayons and paper.
- Play dough - it encourages imagination and builds finger dexterity (fine motor skills)
- Board books with short stories (1 sentence per page).
- Toys for pretend play, like a tea set and dressing up clothes.
- Big-wheeled toys for pushing or pulling. These include a ride-on toy, a push walker, a dolls pram or a toy shopping trolley.
- Simple musical instruments like a drum or xylophone.
- Household things like a saucepan and wooden spoon for banging.
- A 'treasure' box with things like a natural sponge, soft hairbrush or a lemon.
- Plastic jugs and a basin for playing with sand or water. This is great for sensory play and building hand-eye coordination.
- Play simple chase games.
- Blowing bubbles.
- Playing peekaboo or hide and seek around the home or outside.
- Music that encourages your child to move.
You can also try music that encourages your child to move.
Encourage your child to help tidy up toys by putting them in a box.