Sign up to the Quit plan
Sign up and quit smoking
The HSE Quit Programme can help you stop smoking for good. Whether you’ve tried to quit before or this is your first attempt, we can offer you support and encouragement.
The programme includes a plan to help you give up, and tailored support along the way.
The Quit plan
You can sign up to a free, personalised Quit plan to help you stop smoking. You decide how you want your plan to work and can get:
- daily support via email and text message
- a personalised web page to track your progress
- one-to-one support from a trained advisor
- tips from people who’ve successfully stopped smoking
Get support when you need it
We can help you quit smoking. Our Quit Programme works like this:
- You can contact the Quit Programme via phone, live chat, email or social media - or sign up to the Quit Plan and ask us to call you back.
- We'll ask you to set a quit date and decide if you’ll use medication to help. You can set a date over the phone, with a face-to-face counsellor or online via the Quit Plan. If you don’t feel ready for this step, that’s okay - come back to us when the time’s right for you.
- We’ll ask you a few questions about yourself, your lifestyle and your smoking habit. This helps us to make sure you get the support you need.
- We’ll answer all your quitting queries. Some questions might need to be answered by a GP or pharmacist - if so, we’ll point you in the right direction.
- Ahead of your quit day, prepare yourself. Get any medication ready and get rid of all your cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays.
- You can choose the level of support you need. You can get face-to-face support from a stop smoking advisor. Or you can join a support group. We’ll also call you every week for the first month after your quit date. This is to discuss your progress and any concerns or queries. You can also call the Quit Programme anytime during opening hours.
- After the first month, we like to check in with you 3 months after your quit date, and again 12 months after your quit date. This is to see how you’re doing. But if you don’t want us to, you can tell us to go away - we won’t mind!