Mindfulness is the practice of paying attention to whatever is happening in the present moment and experiencing it without judgement.
Anyone can practice mindfulness. It is easy to fit into your day. You can do it one minute at a time.
Benefits of mindfulness
Mindfulness helps bring you into the present. It helps you focus on what's happening right at this moment. It allows you to develop a new habit that helps to weaken old and unhelpful thinking habits. Becoming aware of the present moment can help you enjoy the world around you more.
How to be more mindful
Taking notice of your thoughts, feelings, sensations and the world around you is the first step to being more mindful.
Ways you can be more mindful on a daily basis
- Notice the
everyday, such as the air you breathe and the food you eat
- Pick the same time each day during which you decide to be aware of the world around you
- Try something new like sitting in a different seat in meetings
- Gentle walking or yoga can help you cope if you have an over-busy mind
- Name thoughts and feelings, for example, 'this is anxiety'
- Free yourself from the past and future