Skip to main content

We use cookies to help us improve your experience and to provide services like web chat. We also use cookies to measure the effectiveness of public health campaigns and understand how people use the website.

To find out more about cookies and how we use them, please see our privacy policy.

Children's disability services

Children's disability services are for children and young people up to 18 years. Services include speech and language therapy, physiotherapy, psychology, occupational therapy, paediatrics, dietetics, social work. Your GP or public health nurse can refer you for the service your child needs.

Children's disability services are for children and young people up to 18 years.

Your child's needs may be met at your local health centre. For example, if they have a speech delay your local speech and language therapist can often deliver the help you need.

However, in some cases you may need a children's disability team who work closely together.

This team will include health and social care professionals, experienced in delivering services for children with disabilities. This is generally called a children's disability team. Each team member offers expertise in a particular aspect of child development.

Who you see, and how often you see them, will depend on your child's individual needs. The team will discuss this with you.

Children's disability team services

Some examples of services that the children's disability team may offer include:

  • speech and language therapy- help with communication or eating and swallowing, or both
  • physiotherapy- help to improve movement and function in the body caused by problems with muscles, bones or nervous system
  • psychology- help to assess emotional and behavioural difficulties and coping with the impact of living with a disability
  • occupational therapy- help with skills for the home, at school and in the community including dressing, feeding, toileting, handwriting and hobbies
  • paediatrics- provides diagnosis, medical expertise, regular check-ups and liaison with other health and care professionals and services
  • dietetics- help with nutrition and diet, as well as weight issues
  • social work- support for parents who are caring for a child with a disability by providing time to talk, offering practical help, or connecting parents

Your child may not need all of these services.

Talk to your GP or public health nurse. They can refer you for the service your child needs.

Page last reviewed: 10/05/2019
Next review due: 10/05/2022