Skip to main content

Registering a birth, death or marriage

Register a death

By law, you must register the death within 3 months. Do this when you have received the death notification form from the doctor.

If a person dies in a hospital or nursing home, the hospital or doctor will give the form to the next-of-kin.

A relative by blood, marriage or civil partnership should register the death. You do not need to be next-of-kin to do this.

Registering a death is free.

Civil registration services are closed to the public for walk-in services. You can register a death by email or post.

Register a death by email or post

Complete part 2 of the death notification form and email or post it to any civil registration office, no matter where in Ireland the death occurred.

Please write your phone number anywhere on the death notification form. We may need to contact you to check some details.

You will need to include a copy of one of the following valid photo IDs for the person registering the death:

  • passport
  • driver's licence
  • refugee asylum card
  • national ID card from a country where it is an accepted form of travel document
  • public services card

If there are no relatives to register a death

A qualified informant can register the death. 

A qualified informant can be:

  • a person who was present at the death
  • anyone with the deceased's details - PPS number, place of birth, parents' names, job, civil status
  • any person who was in the building, if the death occurred in a dwelling
  • chief officer or authorised person in a hospital, institution or organisation
  • a person who found or took charge of the body
  • any other person who has knowledge of the death

Deaths referred to the coroner

If a death is referred to the coroner, there will be a delay in registering the death.

The coroner will tell you how long this might take. They may give you an interim death certificate. This can be used to close bank and credit union accounts or to cancel social welfare or pension payments.

If the coroner conducts an inquest or post-mortem, they will send the civil registration service a certificate. We will then register the death. You do not need to do anything else.

page last reviewed: 22/10/2018
next review due: 22/10/2021