Our Quit Programme can help you stop smoking for good. Whether you’ve tried to quit before or this is your first attempt, we can offer you support and encouragement.
The programme includes a plan to help you give up and individual support along the way.
The Quit plan
You can sign up for a free, personalised Quit plan to help you stop smoking.
You decide how you want your plan to work and can get:
- daily support by email and text message
- a Quit account to track your progress
- 1-to-1 support from a trained advisor
- tips from people who’ve successfully stopped smoking
Get support when you need it
We can help you quit smoking.
Our Quit Programme works like this:
1. Contact the Quit Programme
You can contact the Quit Programme by phone, live chat, email or social media - or sign up to the Quit Plan and ask us to call you back.
2. Set a quit date
We'll ask you to set a quit date and decide if you’ll use medicine to help you quit.
You can set a date over the phone, with a face-to-face counsellor or online in the Quit plan.
If you do not feel ready for this step, that’s OK. You can still talk to an advisor about your smoking pattern and the pros and cons of quitting. They can arrange to call you back in a couple of weeks to check if you are ready then. If you are still not quite ready, you can of course contact us again when the time’s right for you.
3. Assess your smoking habit
We’ll ask you a few questions about yourself, your lifestyle and your smoking habit. This helps us to make sure you get the support you need.
4. Get answers to your questions
We’ll answer your quitting queries and tell you when you need to talk to a GP or pharmacist about an issue.
5. Prepare to quit
Before your quit day, you prepare to quit. Get any medicine ready and get rid of all your cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays.
6. Choose your support
You choose the level of support you need.
- join a support group
- meet a stop smoking advisor in person
- get 1-to-1 support from an advisor online or by phone
7. Get weekly check-in calls
We’ll call you every week for the first month after your quit date.
This is to:
- discuss your progress
- help you manage withdrawal
- help you find new routines and daily patterns
- discuss any concerns or queries you may have
Outside of these weekly appointments you can call the Quit team any time during opening hours.
8. Get a 3-month and 12-month follow up call
We'll check in with you at 3 months and 12 months after your quit date. This is to see how you’re doing. But if you don’t want us to, you can tell us to go away - we won’t mind!