Skip to main content

Warning notification:Warning

Unfortunately, you are using an outdated browser. Please, upgrade your browser to improve your experience with HSE. The list of supported browsers:

  1. Chrome
  2. Edge
  3. FireFox
  4. Opera
  5. Safari

Booking a counselling session

You can schedule a counselling session by calling My Options on Freephone: 1800 82 80 10.

Counselling sessions are available by phone or face-to-face.

A counselling session usually lasts about an hour.

It can give you:

  • time and space to work through your feelings about the pregnancy
  • the opportunity to discuss your options
  • help in telling your partner, friends and family about the pregnancy, if you want to
  • practical information on your rights and entitlements
  • information about the supports that are available to you if you’re in education or if you’re working

Counsellors have experience in dealing with the different issues of an unplanned pregnancy.

You can have more than 1 counselling session with My Options if you need to.

Face-to-face counselling services

As well as the My Options freephone service, the HSE provides face-to-face counselling services

It usually takes 2 to 5 days to get an appointment.

Choosing a counselling service

You should only visit a HSE-funded unplanned pregnancy counselling service.

Some services offering counselling may try to influence your decision. If you suspect the service has a hidden agenda, leave the session immediately.

List of HSE-funded unplanned pregnancy counselling services

Bringing a friend

You may want to bring a friend or partner with you for support. Counsellors normally try to speak to each person on their own as part of a counselling session.

Sometimes a parent may want to come to the counselling session. If you would prefer to speak to the counsellor alone, you could phone before your appointment and check what will happen.

Counselling for under 18s

No matter what age you are, it's important that you get the support you need. The counselling given will depend on your age and on the counselling service’s policy. Counselling services may suggest that you get support from a parent or another supportive adult.

Find a new counsellor

If you need to to find a new counsellor, call the My Options helpline on 1800 82 80 10. We will put you in contact with a trusted counselling service.


Each of the HSE- funded counselling agencies has a dedicated staff member to investigate any complaints.

If you are not happy with the service you receive, use the HSE's Your Service Your Say page to contact us.

Page last reviewed: 16 June 2022
Next review due: 16 June 2025