How to apply
Preparing your application
You and your consultant must complete the application form.
Your consultant must be currently treating you.
They must assess you within a 2-week period before making an application to us.
The application must be based on their medical opinion. A consultant can not fill in a form at the request of another member of their team or a patient.
The application must:
- be submitted to the HSE TAS office as soon as possible so we have enough time as to assess your application and give you
- a decision before you travel abroad
- include a copy of your consultant's referral letter - your consultant will send the original letter to the hospital abroad
- where you will be treated
- contain evidence from your consultant about your condition and details of your treatment abroad - the details in the referral letter to the consultant working abroad may be enough
Your application will be reviewed by one of our medical assessors for independent medical advice.
All treatment requested must be within Irish law and:
- not available in Ireland, or
- not available within the usual time needed to get it in Ireland. This is taking into account your current health and the likely course of your condition or disease
If your form is incomplete, or your referral letter is not suitable, we will return them to you.
This means there will be delays with your application.
You will need to send us back a fully completed form within 20 days.
If you do not do this, your application will be declined.
Getting a decision
It usually takes 15 to 20 working days, after we get a fully completed application form and referral letter, before you get a decision on your application.
We will send this to you by post.
We can't give you a decision before the letter is sent to you.
If your application is approved, we will issue you an approval letter which will tell you what to do next.
This includes sending us a copy of your appointment letter from the hospital abroad.
Where an application is declined we will let you know why it was declined. We will also give you information about our appeals process.
We will give you information in writing about our appeals process, if your application is declined.
Referrals of private patients or from private hospital consultants are not eligible for consideration under the HSE TAS.
Private patients should apply to their private health insurance provider in relation to accessing funding towards the cost of treatment abroad.
But you may apply to the TAS if your private health insurance provider declines your application and you have exhausted their appeals process.
To do this, you need to supply these documents from your insurance provider:
- your declined decision
- the appeal decision
Referrals abroad outside our qualifying criteria
If your consultant wants to make a referral abroad that is outside the TAS qualifying criteria, this will be a matter for the consultant and the referring hospital.
In this case, the CEO of the referring hospital should also be notified of the financial implications of this.