Skip to main content

Warning notification:Warning

Unfortunately, you are using an outdated browser. Please, upgrade your browser to improve your experience with HSE. The list of supported browsers:

  1. Chrome
  2. Edge
  3. FireFox
  4. Opera
  5. Safari

Change your medical card details

It is important to keep your details up to date. We can then keep in contact with you about your card. Let us know if your circumstances change, or if you want to change GP.

Change of address

To contact us about a change of address phone 0818 22 44 78 or 01 864 7100 or email

You will need to give us:

  • the name and PPS number for everyone on the card
  • the name and PPS number for any dependants with their own cards that live with you
  • a copy of a utility bill dated within the last 3 months

Change your GP

Download the Medical Card or GP Visit Card change of GP form (PDF, 309KB, 2 pages).

Complete the form and get your GP to sign it.

Email the form to or post it to:

National Medical Card Unit,
PO Box 11745,
Dublin 11

Change in employment status

You may be able to keep your medical card if you start full-time work after you have been unemployed for 12 months. You must have received a full rate social welfare payment for a continuous 12 month period.

If you start part-time work after you've been unemployed for 12 months or more, you may keep your medical card for 3 years.

If you begin a Government approved or sponsored incentive schemes (CE Schemes) you may continue to keep your medical card.

Dependent family members may qualify to keep their card, even if they become employed during this 3 year period.

If you receive the card for 3 years and continue working, your eligibility will be assessed using the normal guidelines.

If there are any changes to your employment status, contact us.

Adding a child to a medical card

Phone 0818 22 44 78 or email with your child's:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • PPS number

You will need to send us a copy of your child's:

  • birth certificate
  • PPS number

Do not send original documents.

Change in circumstances

A change in circumstance can affect your entitlement to a medical card or GP visit card.

These include:

  • diagnosis of a serious medical condition
  • recently becoming married, separated, or divorced
  • recently becoming widowed
  • your child or children no longer live with you
  • you have a child under 6
  • becoming over 70 years of age

If any of these or any other changes affect your entitlement to a medical or GP visit card, please let us know.

If you were previously refused a medical card, you might now be entitled to one. Please apply again.

If you have any questions phone 0818 22 44 78.

Page last reviewed: 20 January 2023