Skip to main content

We use cookies on this website. By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device.

Cross Border Directive - before you go abroad

You need to prepare for your treatment abroad by taking your medical records and getting insurance.

Medical records

You might need to provide your overseas healthcare provider with your current medical records. You should bring those as well as information on any medicine you’re taking and any relevant test results.

Check with the GP or consultant who referred you or the doctor who’s treating you abroad what information you need to bring.

Ask your GP or hospital in Ireland for your medical records.

Related topics

Find out how to access your medical records.


You should take out travel insurance before you go abroad. The HSE does not cover the cost of repatriation in the event of fatality.

You should also take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you.

The EHIC does not cover the cost of your treatment under the CBD. But it will cover some other treatments unrelated to your CBD treatment if you need them.

Apply to be repaid for your Cross Border Directive healthcare

Find out what costs you can reclaim and how to apply for repayment.

We recently updated this content. See the original version here

Page last reviewed: 08/11/2018
Next review due: 08/11/2021