Skip to main content

Warning notification:Warning

Unfortunately, you are using an outdated browser. Please, upgrade your browser to improve your experience with HSE. The list of supported browsers:

  1. Chrome
  2. Edge
  3. FireFox
  4. Opera
  5. Safari

If you're worried about your hearing

Contact your GP if you notice a problem with your hearing.

They may refer you to:

  • the HSE audiology service
  • an ear, nose and throat (ENT) consultant at a hospital

How the HSE audiology service can help

The HSE audiology service:

  • helps adults with chronic hearing problems
  • provides free hearing aids to adults with medical cards in Ireland

If you do not have a medical card

You may get some money towards the cost of hearing aids if you qualify for the Department of Social Protection's Treatment Benefit Scheme. But this will depend on your PRSI contributions.

Treatment Benefit Scheme -

How ENT can help

ENT departments in hospitals treat acute hearing problems. They will assess and treat hearing problems with surgery or medicine if needed.

Going to an ENT appointment about your hearing

An ENT consultant may refer you to the HSE audiology service. They may do this if they think you have a longer-term (chronic) hearing problem that they cannot treat with surgery or medicine.

Page last reviewed: 31 January 2023
Next review due: 31 January 2026