Benefits and limitations of cervical screening
Cervical screening is one of the best ways to protect yourself from cervical cancer.
But it's your choice if you want to go for cervical screening.
Benefits of screening
Regular cervical screening:
- saves lives
- can find HPV before it causes abnormal cells in the cervix
- can find abnormal cell changes before symptoms develop
- can find abnormal cell changes when they are easier to treat
Finding HPV and abnormal cells early is the best way to prevent cervical cancer developing.
This is why having regular screening tests is important.
Limitations of screening
The main limitations of cervical screening are:
- it will not prevent all cases of cervical cancer
- some people will still develop cervical cancer despite regular screening
- some abnormal cell changes may be missed
- it will not find every abnormal cell change
Sometimes test results are inaccurate.
You may have further tests at colposcopy that you do not need.
Or you may be told that you do not need further tests or treatment, when there is actually a risk of cancer at the time.
False positives and false negatives are unavoidable. They happen in every screening programme. They may cause you to lose trust in the screening programme. But the benefits of cervical screening outweigh these limitations.
Cervical screening is one of the best ways to protect against developing cervical cancer.