If you have a severe headache or a headache with any of the following symptoms, contact your midwife or GP immediately:
- Pronounced swelling of your hands, feet, ankles, neck or face, particularly if sudden.
- Flashing lights in your eyes or blurred vision.
- You have been recently diagnosed with high blood pressure.
Headaches are quite common in pregnancy. The causes include:
- hormonal changes
- caffeine withdrawal.
A headache can be a sign of pre-eclampsia, especially if you have other symptoms.
- blurred vision
- spots or flashing lights across your vision
- upper tummy pain
- swelling of hands, feet, ankles, neck or face
Other warning signs during pregnancy
There are other warning signs to watch out for during pregnancy. They could mean you're experiencing pregnancy complications or a medical emergency.
They can also be signs of a common ailment during pregnancy.
Warning signs include:
Emergency action required: Contact your midwife, GP or obstetrician immediately if:
- you are worried about any aspect of your pregnancy