Diagnosis - Varicose eczema

See your GP if you have symptoms of varicose eczema. They'll often be able to make a diagnosis by looking at the skin.

Seeing your GP

Your GP will try to find out if you have a problem with the flow of blood in your leg veins. This is the main cause of varicose eczema.

They may want to know if you have a history of:

  • varicose veins – swollen and enlarged veins
  • deep vein thrombosis (DVT) – a blood clot in one of the deep veins of your legs
  • surgery or injury to your legs

Your GP may also check the pulse in your feet. This is to see if compression stockings are suitable for you.

Referral to a specialist

Your GP may refer you to a specialist for further tests.

This could be a:

  • vascular specialist – a doctor or surgeon specialising in blood vessels
  • dermatologist – a specialist in skin conditions

Your GP will refer you to a specialist if:

  • you have varicose veins and changes to your skin. This includes varicose eczema or a history of leg ulcers
  • you have very poor blood flow in the blood vessels in your legs
  • they are concerned about pulses in your feet
  • your symptoms do not get better, despite treatment
  • it's possible you have contact dermatitis

Content supplied by the NHS and adapted for Ireland by the HSE

Slaintecare logo
This project has received funding from the Government of Ireland’s Sláintecare Integration Fund 2019 under Grant Agreement Number 123.

Page last reviewed: 23 March 2021
Next review due: 23 March 2024