Skip to main content

We use small files called cookies to help us improve your experience on this website and to provide services like web chat. We also use cookies to measure the effectiveness of public health campaigns and understand how people use the website.

Read our cookies policy to find out more about cookies and how we use them.

When to get medical advice

Morning sickness (nausea and vomiting)

Speak to your GP, obstetrician or midwife if either

  • your morning sickness is severe, or
  • you're unable to keep water down without vomiting

Urgent medical help

You may need treatment or have to go to hospital if you have any of the following symptoms:

  • being sick and unable to keep any fluids down for 24 hours
  • feeling dizzy or faint
  • losing weight
  • having very dark-coloured pee
  • not peeing as much as usual, especially if it's been more than 8 hours since you last peed
  • vomiting blood
  • feeling pain when peeing, or seeing any blood in your pee

Contact your GP, midwife or obstetrician immediately if you have any of these symptoms

Severe morning sickness - how your health professional can help

Your GP, obstetrician or midwife may:

  • give you advice on ways to help your symptoms
  • give you a sickness certificate for work if they feel you need rest
  • prescribe some medication
  • ask you to go to the maternity hospital or emergency department

Questions they might ask you

You may be asked questions to find out if:

  • you're keeping fluids down, such as water
  • you're keeping food down
  • your pee is very dark in colour
  • you have other symptoms such as pain in your tummy or pain when passing peeing
  • you have lost any weight
  • this has happened before in previous pregnancies
  • you have tried anything to help with your morning sickness

Tests for severe morning sickness

You might be offered the following examinations:

  • pulse and blood pressure tests
  • pressing gently on your tummy
  • testing your pee for signs of infection
  • testing your pee for a substance called ketones - ketones in your urine may be a sign you are becoming dehydrated

Medication for severe morning sickness

Your GP or midwife may prescribe an anti-emetic.

An anti-emetic is anti-sickness medication.

You'll be given one that's safe to take during pregnancy, if your morning sickness is severe.

It's usually prescribed as a tablet that you'll need to swallow. Always read the label to make sure you take the correct amount of medication at the correct times.

page last reviewed: 04/12/2018
next review due: 04/12/2021