Benefits of exercising
Strengthening your muscles will help your body carry the extra weight.
Exercise can also increase your chance of maintaining a healthier weight throughout pregnancy. It will help your body cope during and after giving birth.
Being active for up to 30 minutes most days during pregnancy can:
- help reduce backache, constipation, bloating, and swelling
- maintain your muscle strength and fitness
- increase your energy levels
- improve your mood and feeling of wellbeing
- help prevent or treat gestational diabetes
- help reduce high blood pressure
- help reduce varicosities (enlarged veins) and swelling in the arms and legs
- improve your posture
- help you sleep better
- help prepare you for labour and birth
Not being active during pregnancy may lead to: