If you have a severe headache or a headache with any of the following symptoms, contact your midwife or GP immediately:
- Pronounced swelling of your hands, feet, ankles, neck or face, particularly if sudden.
- Flashing lights in your eyes or blurred vision.
- You have been recently diagnosed with high blood pressure.
Headaches are quite common in pregnancy. The causes include:
- hormonal changes
- caffeine withdrawal.
A headache can be a sign of pre-eclampsia, especially if you have other symptoms.
- blurred vision
- spots or flashing lights across your vision
- upper tummy pain
- swelling of hands, feet, ankles, neck or face