Foods to eat when planning a pregnancy
Eating well before becoming pregnant will help your body adjust faster to the changes pregnancy brings. You will need nutrients to help you stay healthy and help the growth and development of your baby.
Folic acid, iron and calcium are especially important. You should take a 400 microgram folic acid supplement every day if you are sexually active and could become pregnant.
Foods to eat when trying to get pregnant
If you are planning to get pregnant, make some changes to your diet and lifestyle in the months before you conceive.
Choose foods from the 5 main food groups every day. These main food groups are fruit and vegetables, grains, dairy and protein.
Eating a wide variety of nourishing foods provides the energy and nutrients you will need every day to stay healthy.
A food pyramid is an easy way to help you make better food choices. You can view the simple food pyramid on our website.
Healthy eating when trying to get pregnant
Things you can do to eat more healthily:
- Base your meals on plenty of vegetables, salads and fruits - up to half your plate or bowl at every meal.
- Choose a variety of colours when eating vegetables, salads and fruits.
- Eat regular meals and cook mostly with fresh ingredients.
- Use the food pyramid as a guide.
- At meals use a smaller plate, eat slowly and stop when you feel full.
- Drink more water – at least 8 glasses or cups a day.
- Be mindful of what you are eating and drinking.
- Sit at a table and try not to watch TV or a screen while you are eating.