DESMOND stands for Diabetes Education and Self-Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed people. It's a free course for people with Type 2 diabetes.
DESMOND courses will help you manage the changes that Type 2 diabetes brings to your life. They offer the opportunity to meet and share experiences with others.
DESMOND runs over 2 half-day sessions or as 1 full-day course with follow-up support at a later date. You will be told about the follow-up sessions when you attend the course.
A group of up to 10 people with Type 2 diabetes are invited to attend the DESMOND course. This is a good opportunity for you to meet other people with Type 2 diabetes. A family member, carer or friend is also welcome to book a place and attend with you for support.
The sessions are run by a dietitian, diabetes nurse or other diabetes health care professional.
When you attend the course you will:
- get up-to-date information on Type 2 diabetes
- learn practical skills to help you manage your diabetes
- discuss things that affect diabetes treatment like food choices, being active, managing weight, medicines, smoking, alcohol, check-ups, eye care, foot care and more
- gain helpful skills and confidence in how to manage your diabetes well.
People who have attended the DESMOND course have found it of benefit to them:
“The DESMOND programme has helped me to understand how diabetes works and how best to improve my health. It gave me a new outlook on a healthier lifestyle”
“I was reluctant to come to the meeting but now I am glad that I came as it was very informative…plain speaking”
What you will learn during each session
- Your story (thoughts and feelings about diabetes)
- What is diabetes and how does it affect me?
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Food choices - carbohydrates and food labelling
- Weight management
- Possible effects of diabetes on health and how to prevent them
- Physical activity
- Food choices - fat and food labelling
- Your health plan
You are welcome to bring a family member, carer or friend to support you on the course. Just book a place for them.