Your GP may refer you to a fertility specialist or to a urologist (a doctor who specialises in the genitourinary tract) to have more tests.

Consultations are available through:

  • the public health system
  • privately (where you pay a fee or through private health insurance)

Some treatments and tests may be available both publicly and privately.

These tests all focus on the woman trying to get pregnant.

Not all of these tests are needed by all women. Often only one test is needed to check for blockages in the fallopian tubes.

You may not be suitable for some of these tests.

Your fertility specialist or gynaecologist will decide on the investigations. This will be based on your symptoms and your medical history.

They include:

A hysterosalpingogram (HSG)

This is a type of x-ray. Dye is injected into your womb through a tube placed in the neck of the womb (your cervix). This is to detect blockages in your fallopian tubes.

If there is a blockage in your fallopian tube, it may be preventing eggs travelling from your ovary to your womb.

A laparoscopy

This is keyhole surgery. You will normally have a general anaesthetic. This means you are asleep during the procedure.

A small cut is made in your tummy. A camera is passed through. This means your womb, fallopian tubes and ovaries can be examined in detail.

Sometimes dye can be injected through your cervix (the neck of the womb) to show whether there are any blockages in your tubes.


A HyCoSy is a hysterosalpingo-contrast-ultrasound. This is a special type of ultrasound scan.

Fluid is injected into your cervix (the neck of your womb) to check for any blockages in your fallopian tubes.

Follicular tracking

This means having a number of ultrasound scans done to track your cycle. It helps you to know when exactly you produce an egg each month.

Inside your ovary, each egg is produced in a fluid filled sack known as a 'follicle'.

Follicular tracking identifies whether you are ovulating and when the follicle releases the egg.

What happens after tests

The next steps will depend on the results of the tests you and your partner have had.

Your specialist will discuss your options with you. These might include:

  • medical treatments with medication or hormones
  • surgery (for women or for men)
  • assisted conception including IVF (in vitro fertilisation

Page last reviewed: 10 May 2019
Next review due: 10 May 2022