COVID Tracker is a free and easy-to-use mobile phone app that will:
- alert you if you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 (coronavirus)
- keep other app users safe by alerting them if you test positive for COVID-19
- give you advice on what to do if you have symptoms
Where to get the app
You should be able to use the app if your phone:
- is less than 5 years old
- uses Apple's iOS 13.5 or higher or Google's Android 6.0 or higher
You will need to confirm you are 16 or older. This is the digital age of consent.
You will need to have Bluetooth switched on for the app to work.
Alerting you if you are a close contact
You'll get an alert on your phone if you have been in close contact with another app user who has tested positive for COVID-19.
The alert will advise you to:
- Restrict your movements if you have no symptoms.
- Self-isolate if you have symptoms.
- Get tested for COVID-19.
Keep others safe if you test positive
If you test positive for COVID-19, you can use the app to alert other people you have been in close contact with. This is done anonymously. No one will know that you have tested positive. But your close contacts will be able to take action to stop the possible spread of the virus.
Track your symptoms
You can use the COVID check-in on the app to track any symptoms of COVID-19 you have and get advice about them.
It's your choice if you want to track your symptoms or not. You do not have to track your symptoms for the other functions on the app to work.
Protects your privacy
The app is designed to protect your privacy at all times.
It's always your choice to:
- use the app, or not
- decide what information you want to share, or not
You are never asked for your name or address. The app does not track your location. You will stay anonymous - other app users will not know who you are.
Latest news and information
You can use the app to follow the latest facts and figures about COVID-19 in Ireland. You'll also be able to get information that will help you to care for yourself if you are sick.
Put public health advice first
The COVID Tracker app has been designed to make the best use of the health advice and technology available. But it’s not perfect. It is part of a number of ways that we can slow the spread of COVID-19 and should not replace the existing public health guidelines.
It's still important to:
- follow social distancing advice - keep a space of 2 metres (6.5 feet) between you and other people
- wash your hands properly and often
- cover your mouth with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough or sneeze
- wear a face covering
- get tested if you have symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19
If you cannot use the app
The app is one part of our contact tracing operation. Our contact tracing centre is still open. Everyone is included in that process, whether you use the app or not.
We hope future versions of the app will make it accessible to more people. We are continuing to look at solutions to include everyone over the age of 16.
Using the app abroad
The app also works in Northern Ireland, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Spain, Hungary and Latvia.
Last updated: 26 November at 3pm